Monday, September 28, 2009

Week 11 of 12 (Borneo 09)

Total mileage: 51.8km in 5 days

Mon: 19km barefoot

Wed: 7.6km { 800m up, 2.4km - 9:15, 1.6km - 6:24, 400m down, 2.4km BF - 10:28)

Fri: 9.1km barefoot

Sat: 9.1km barefoot

Sun: 7km barefoot

Started the week with a crazy run at 1330hrs, the furthest I have ever run barefoot under such warm conditions. Very sore feet and some small blisters just between my calluses on the balls of feet and toes. Glad I brought cash along for 2 cans of 100plus on the way back.

Decided to run the full marathon barefoot. Reasons: -
1. I don't have any shoes in decent condition to run the distance and don't see the point in buying a pair just for the race. Doing so is just another obstacle in transitioning ASAP.
2. I cannot get a pair of KSO's on time and just as well. Minimalist footwear will just hamper my transitioning.
3. Trying to kill myself by hoping to run 3:00 in shoes so soon does not do justice to why I run in the first place. I run because I have finally learnt to enjoy running. Running barefoot adds on to the joy and is an insurance policy that will probably allow me to continue running to a ripe old age.
4. I might or might not finish the race in a satisfactory time, but I strongly believe I will finish it running all the way. And if it takes me more than 4 hours to complete it, so be it.

Wish me luck.

Caught a cold again the second time in 2 weeks, so I have to watch my resistance level this week. But the good thing is I recovered within one day on both occasions. Running certainly has improved my body's ability to recover faster.



1 comment:

  1. good luck for your resolution to do the full marathon barefooted.

    ":-)

    ReplyDelete