Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 12 of 12 (Borneo 09)



Tues: 7km barefoot

Thurs: 7km barefoot

Fri: 10mins slow jog(poolside)

Sun(Oct 11): Borneo International Marathon 2009

Collected my number tag 22 on Friday afternoon, and feeling the pre-race adrenalin building up already. I will be easy to spot as it's unlikely that there will be another barefoot and shirt-less runner around.

Saw Ripley and TeeLee at the stadium before the start and said hello to them.

I just went to hell and came back, so it's going to be a little short here. Left foot started to blister at 12 - 13km mark as I probably started too fast. Right knee starts to give way after 22km and bouts of walking began. As I approached 30km, I was hoping to board the ambulance and hitch a ride back, but somehow I did not. Strangely, the power-gel allowed me to make an attempt to simulate what looks like jogging during the last 8km. Finished officially 4:57:01.

Lessons learnt:-

1. As a newbie barefoot runner of less than 3 months, I am not ready to run the full marathon.

2. I did not train to run fast in shoes, and the fact seems to magnify itself so much more while running barefoot as my entire legs gave way. Soles, joints and muscles took unimaginable punishment and I still can't believe I crossed the finish.

3. The long runs of 28 - 32km I did while shod was well, simply shod. It does not help that they were done 3 months ago too. I needed them barefoot and my longest barefoot run was 20km. 3 months was without long runs while I transitioned.

Will not attempt a full marathon again probably for at least one year. Though what I did was nothing spectacular, I feel I have earned the right to call myself a "barefoot marathon runner" finally. No running for awhile as I cannot even walk upright at the moment.




3 comments:

  1. A marathon is tough enough already, bro. And you completed it on barefoot! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your barefoot training is still not enough. You should not get those blister if your skin are tough enough and you probably have started too fast for the skin to adapt.

    Anyway, it still a good attempt and admirable to finish a marathon barefooted. I am still not sure I can do it or not in Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sling. It was crap, but the experience was good.

    Yes, Pua! It's not enough for sure. And I only blistered on my left foot but not the right. I think my left foot does not land gently enough for some reason.

    Will be training for a half marathon this time round coming up in April.

    ReplyDelete