Monday, August 31, 2009

Week 7 of 12 (Borneo 09)

Total mileage: 72.4km in 5 days(1st totally barefoot week)

Mon: 11.2km(barefoot)

Tues:
AM - 11.2km(barefoot)
PM - 10.5km(barefoot)

Wed: 16.8km(barefoot)

Thurs: 17.5km(barefoot)

Fri: Pull-ups / Swimming

Sat: 5.2km(barefoot) {2 x 2.4km(5min rest) - 10:25, 10:01. + 400m.}

No blisters this week, but soles are sore and on fire daily. Reluctantly took a break on Friday as I wanted to rid myself of the soreness on my left heel due to downhill running.

Had intended to do 6 x 2.4km(5min interval) on Saturday. Discovered a big bloody blister on one of my toes after the second run. The third run felt weird as I avoided gripping the ground with my toes, and I gave up after 400m. 7 blisters were spotted after the run, and a total of 9 visible after washing my feet around the toes region. This was totally unexpected as I had been running on asphalt for almost 7 weeks and this was just rubber.

Lessons learnt:

1. Running on asphalt slowly and gently did not condition the skin at my toes region to withstand faster running. Simply put, my toes 'sux'!

2. The 2 x 2.4km done at 10:25 and 10:01 was with minimum effort and gave me a good gauge of my current fitness level. It was unfortunate that I was unable to complete at least 6 sets.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ex-saf pti (from sgrunners),

    How is your preparation for your Borneo 09? Doing it barefooted? What is you aim (timing)?

    I did AHM barefooted and quite satisfied with my result of 1:38.

    Barefoot Pua (lspua in sgrunners)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pua

    Yes, I think your 1:38 was very commendable and shows excellent adaptation to barefoot running.

    By race day, I would have started barefooting only 2 months plus and do not think I would be prepared to run it fast.

    However, I am now showing signs of adapting well to training barefoot by the 7th week. Therefore, I would not rule out the possibility.

    Aiming for sub 4 if barefoot, sub 3:30 if shod.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete